Wednesday, October 7, 2009

You can be a “Biggest Loser”, too!

Were you one of probable millions sitting on your tushie last night thinking, “If only I had a Bob or Jillian to whip me into shape…”? If so, your dream (or worst nightmare) can come true for a mere $2,000 per week during an extended stay at Utah’s Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge.

At the Biggest Loser Resort, people live a life mimicking that of NBC’s Biggest Loser contestants –- 1,200 calories a day and 8-9 hours a day spent exercising.

Just for $hits and giggles, I called toll-free number for the Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge on my lunch hour today. A very pleasant (and clueless) woman answered my call, eager to take down my contact information, how I had heard about the resort, and of course, if I was interested in making a reservation. I cautiously explained my interest in calling...something along the lines of, “I am interested in learning more about the nutrition counseling offered at the resort after reading the available resort services on your website.” After learning that I was 1) a dietitian, and 2) not interested in making a reservation, she put me on hold to find out whether or not their “nutrition professional” was, in fact, a registered dietitian. She returned only to ask that I put my request into writing and the inquiry would be forwarded to the appropriate party.


So, what do YOU think of such a weight-loss experience? It leaves me speechless as to how ANY medical professional would deem it appropriate to have any Biggest Loser participants on a 1,200 calorie diet. Anyways, any OTHER opinions out there? I do think the concept is great, but the execution needs some alterations.

4 comments:

  1. HA!! Good one!! So they have been figured out, no dietitian! I knew it. Ridiculous. Jillian doesn't even have a degree in nutrition.

    I can understand a 1200 calorie diet, but not when they are burning up to 6000 calories a day, it just doesn't make sense. Why not take in 1200 calories and burn 2000 calories? They will still loose weight, considering that's a big change from what they used to do, and they'd be in a calorie deficit. Ugh, I could go on about that show for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch The Biggest Loser (partially because the only TV in our house has been moved to a location in which it is all but impossible to watch T.V.).

    I have seen a few episodes of The Biggest Loser, and I didn't like that the show is so extreme. I get that they are not portraying real life and that it's a T.V. show and that extremes sell, etc. But I think overall the message is just wrong. I think the contestants eat far too few calories and exercise way too hard. As far as I have been reading there have already been numerous injuries this season, and I'm not surprised. Working out that many hours is in my opinion a recipe for disaster.

    Also, I think that such extremes make maintaining the weight loss just that much harder. I don't think the contestants have time to adjust to the new life style and learn to incorporate the healthy changes into real life...

    But I am not surprised that there is a "copycat" Biggest Loser Ranch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, I find it very disturbing the way the participants'-- are spoken with and spoken to --on the show. In my opinion, it's called: Verbal Violence.

    Glad you made your phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been to Fitness Ridge now the Biggest Loser Resort at fitness ridge a number of times- lost weight, made friends and loved it ! and guess what:
    Emily Fonnesbeck, who lectures etc. is a registered dietician-degree from BYU, member of American Dietetic Association (ADA) and certified for Adult Weight Management through the Commission of Dietetic Registration. Their website explains the whole concept. If you have any questions, I'm sure she would be available to answer them. Perhaps the website: www.biggestloserresort.com would be more helpful than a call to a reservation clerk.

    ReplyDelete