Thursday, October 22, 2009

Comfort

You know those times when something happens that quickly reacquaints you with the reality of how precious life is? Tonight was one of those instances. Deepest thoughts and prayers go out to my friend up north who is currently in critical condition. :( Tell the ones you love how much they mean to you...right now. Life's too short sometimes it seems.



It just happened that on tonight's dinner menu was THE comfort food of comfort foods: chicken noodle soup. Homemade. I used the high-fiber, low-calorie noodles I got from Akins a few weeks ago -- 2 ounces for 130 calories and 20 grams of fiber. Wowza!



 
 Steaming away...mmmmmm!


  
 Loaded with fresh celery, carrots, and lean chicken breast tidbits


Today at work, I had the priviledge of trying my first piece of fry bread...made into an "Indian Taco". Indian fry bread is a traditional Indian food consisting of a fried battery of flour, hot water, baking soda, and a pinch of sugar. It was sooo good! Obviously, however, it is a very much so consume-in-moderation food. Hello, saturated and trans fat!!


  
 Indian Fry Bread



 
 Indian Taco: Indian Fry Bread topped with chili, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and salsa. It was GOOD!


Yesterday's diet went like this...


Breakfast:
Fiber One Bar (2 carbs)
6 ounces fat-free QT cappuccino (1 carb)
1 small apple (1 carb)

     Total: 4 carbs


Lunch:
6" Subway turkey sub with all of the vegetable fixin's (3 carbs)
pickles (0 carbs)
     Total: 3 carbs


Snack:
banana (2 carbs)


Dinner:
1/2 small acorn squash (1 1/2 carbs)
1/2 ounce pecans (0 carbs)
2 tsp Splenda brown sugar (1 carb)
2 Tbsp Smart Balance Light (0 carbs)
1/2 cup chicken soup casserole (1 carb)
     Total: 3 1/2 carbs


Snack:
10 animal crackers (1 1/2 carbs)

2 Tbsp peanut butter (0 carbs)
     Total: 1 1/2 carbs

4 comments:

  1. so sorry to hear about your friend. life is so precious and I forget about that sometimes myself. I'm a big fan of fry bread although I haven't had it in forever it seems. I love the doughy, fried goodness, in moderation of course. Your soup looks so comforting, there is nothing more comforting than chicken noodle soup :)
    I hope everything is okay

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh love the soup Nicole do your work with Indians what a treat to eat their food

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about your friend.

    Homemade chicken noodle soup is indeed comfort food. Your soup looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your friend. Keeping your friend in my thoughts and prayers!

    On a brighter note, the chicken noodle soup looks wonderful. Homemade soups are the best, it just makes it all the more comforting! However, the only homemade soup I've made so far is chili - I'll definitely have to make chicken noodle soup next time!

    ReplyDelete