Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chewable Vitamins and BL Critique



I hate taking vitamins. I hate the taste and they make me nauseous sitting in my stomach. And quite frankly, I procrastinate taking them every morning to the point of often forgetting to take them. After a Saturday of football at friend's last weekend, I was introduced to chewable adult multivitamins. Target supplies said vitamins and I now look FORWARD to taking my multivitamin every morning! I am on the prowl for a "name brand", US Pharmacopeia recognized chewable adult vitamin currently. Any insight out there on where to find such a product? Until then, Target, you have my vitamin business. Of all supplements, I feel safest consuming and recommending multivitamins ahead of supplements such as fish oil, acai berry, CoQ10, etc.



On a completely unrelated note, I finally had the chance to sit down and watch the new Season 8 Biggest Loser premiere last night. Abby, the 34-year-old teacher who lost her two children and husband in a car accident brought me to tears. The stories and baggage of these contestants leaves no wonder as to why they struggle with their weight. Baggage and struggle both being an understatement. Food is comfort, wouldn’t you say?


As much as I love The Biggest Loser, the season 8 premiere did leave me feeling a bit…annoyed.





First, WHY must Jillian throw around 4-letter words to make a point? Fat, lazy, or unmotivated as ever does not excuse verbal abrasions to such extents. With all the *bleeps* the images on the screen were the only differentiation between The Biggest Loser and Jerry Springer. I mean, c’mon, is that REALLY necessary? Reality TV or not, no one has the right to belittle one to that degree. Jillian needs to class it up a bit. Do you agree?


Second, I’m all for Body Bug’s and the latest technology but addressing the basics – nutrition -- is vital to contestant success! While the contestants may (or may not) be receiving nutrition consult beyond what the show portrays, it’s important for viewers to get accurate nutrition information regarding weight loss from a weight loss professional – a Registered Dietitian. Patients who walk into my office are counseled on nutrition; I am not an exercise physiologist or personal trainer. I deeply wish that The Biggest Loser would put a very small fraction of their astronomical budget into casting a dietitian on their medical staff. I mean, c’mon, we’re about the cheapest health professional to hire out there!! And doesn’t is just seem overly obvious to include a heightened emphasis on proper nutrition on a weight loss show? American’s don’t have 8 hours to sweat it out in a gym each day -- proper nutrition is key to weight loss success, why not get an RD on board and increase credibility?


As I step off my soapbox for the day, I do have to mention how “close to home” The Biggest Loser hits this season. Sean of Tulsa, Oklahoma and Danny of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma both reside within 5-10 miles of our home just north of Tulsa. How cool! I am definitely rooting on the Oklahoma men through their journey on the show and will commit to showing up at the filming to welcome them home as they enter back into the “real world” for a week near the end of the season. Biggest Loser is always good about home-town visits, so hopefully that’s something to look forward to!


All-in-all, The Biggest Loser keeps me motivated to live the healthy lifestyle that I do and continue doing what I love: helping others achieve their weight and nutrition goals.

2 comments:

  1. I take a Flinstone vitamin, 1/2, everyday. I love them, and I never have problems. I believe it has passed all the pharmacopeia standards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One a Day makes gummies! (I read your blog from your profile on the knot..and LOVE it!)

    ReplyDelete