Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Boozercise!

Do you boozercise? I do! Just this weekend I pulled into the parking lot of the ice rink to find a beer trailer -- a trailer housing beer with exterior taps for one to help themselves. Gift from God? Obviously.

While I limited myself to half a Coors Light before hopping on the ice for 3 solid hours of hockey games, others fared much worse than myself. Seeing as the beer was available since 2pm...there was surely some serious consumption of my teammates prior to the 5:45pm game time. This takes me back to hockey in Chicago where locker room time with the girls included a case of beer and lots of giggles. Ah, the old days.


The Chicago Tribune recently looked into BRFSS information and found an interesting connection: those that drink more...exercise more. More surprisingly, the heavier drinkers were the most likely to workout...and to workout for longer. Though this seems oxymoronic (that's not a word, per se...but I like it all the same)...there's several plausible explanations such as exercise to negate drinking damage, thrill-seeking nature, and team sport partaking after events and games [1].

Now don't go picking up a booze habit in order to gain an exercise habit, as the effects of alcohol don't outweigh the benefits of exercise [1]. Sigh, sigh...I know, I know.

But boozercise -- a little "booz-" and lots more "-ercise" -- combined -- can't be all bad...right? Regardless, I'm a fan of boozercising and will likely keep up my regimen.
Does dog-walking with wine in-hand count? Half kidding...

[1]. Deardorff, Julie. Study: Drinkers More Likely to Exercise. Chicago Tribune. August 31, 2009.

6 comments:

  1. First, I don't know if I can ever talk to you (or blog with you..) again! You DESPISE OSU?!?! Well, I guess that's ok, I can deal with that, as long as you aren't a Gator fan. I'll let it slide!

    Ok now onto the post. I've never boozercised! I want to, and I'm so mad that I've never done it! I'm sure it would make the workout go much faster. And yes, college memories are coming back..just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun post, I am not a big drinker but a little won't hurt ya or your performance!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. site Web de l'entreprise répliques de sacs de créateurs bon marché pourquoi ne pas vérifier ici Balenciaga Dolabuy Découvrir plus Fendi Dolabuy

    ReplyDelete