Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Move to Colorado

Well, we've gone and out-done ourselves...again. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has published results of the 2008 obesity rates in America. Please consult the picture and legend of the U.S. for a depressing sight. Congratulations (not!) to Oklahoma for being one of THE top 5 fattest states. Alabama, Mississippi, and West Virginia are the only states with worse-off citizens. Sigh. Colorado has the lowest incidences of obesity at 18.4%...we should all move there, apparently [1].



I had a gentlemen in my office yesterday afternoon after the doc requested a DASH diet instruction. After going over his 24-hour recall the gentlemen shyed away saying, "I know what I eat aint good, but I just can't help it." I joked saying, "I know I won't be able to take the country out of you, but I have to suggest taking some country out of the cooking." He laughed; rapport was strong. We decided that his goal regarding his country cooking would be to "eat like his lady friend," as he explained how she removes the layer of fried batter off her fried dinners. I left him with, "You know, gentlemen could always stand to learn something from us lady friends." With a wink. I think he'll be back, and I think doc'll like his labs. We'll see!

Ship-shape up, America. Country bumpkins can, so you can, too!

[1]. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Overweight and Obesity.
US Obesity Trends 1985-2008. June 26, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment